Thursday, September 3, 2009

Activity Mat

In preperations for school, I made a little activity mat and tutorial for it. I was inspired by the rugs used for floorwork in a traditional Montessori Classroom. It seemed like a novel idea for keeping activities involving small pieces (like knobbed puzzles that hurt to step on) in one place. I started thinking she should use it for ALL her toys for easy clean up, but I think that infringes slightly on the aspect of imagination.

That is my only problem with the Montessori method of education. I often feel that in some of its rigidity it looses an aspect of whimsy essential to the development of imagination. I know that Maria Montessori believed that a clean, organized and functional space gave children a stronger sense of self which would then give them a better foundation for building their imagination and creative spirit. I personally feel that they need a certain level of freedom in order to let their creativity guide them. I especially believe this at a young age when the lines between real and make-believe are less defined and the possibilities have much fewer boundaries. That is why I think putting even small boundaries on play are really not helpful. I believe we must take advantage of this age for giving them the freedom to believe in the things that we no longer remember exist.

"I do believe in fairies, I do! I do!"

No comments:

Post a Comment